Veeam Backup & Replication automates and simplifies backup verification process,which is one of the most crucial parts of data management and protection. Using Veeam technologies, you can start the VMs directly from the backups in a fenced-off environment and perform reliability and availability testing as a routine part of the backup process.
Generally, to perform recovery verification testing of your SQL Server backup, you will need to create:
- An application group required to verify full functionality of backed up VM
- An isolated virtual lab where VM should be tested
- A recovery verification job (SureBackup job)
For detailed information on SureBackup recovery verification, refer to the corresponding Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide:
- For VMware platform: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/vsphere/surebackup_verification.html
- For Hyper-V platform: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/hyperv/surebackup_verification.html
This process involves several types of resources, so to plan for them properly, in particular, in VMware environment, consider these recommendations.