Choose product document...
Veeam Backup & Replication 9.0
Backup and Restore of SQL Server Databases
Step 4: Examine Considerations and Limitations
- If you are using SQL Server Express edition (for example, SQL Server 2012 Express included in Veeam setup) as a staging system, consider that databases that exceed 10 GB cannot be attached to this SQL Server due to Express edition limitations (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993(v=SQL.110).aspx). If you plan to recover large databases following a scenario that requires a staging server, then it is necessary to configure a fully functional commercial version of Microsoft SQL Server as a staging system.
- By default, system databases (master and others) are excluded from Veeam Explorer restore workflow. These databases can be restored using file-level restore, as described in the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/vsphere/performing_guest_restore.html).
- Currently, point-in-time restore and restore to the state before selected transaction is not supported for replica VMs and for restore points created by backup copy job.
- If you plan to restore an encrypted database using Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SQL Server, consider information provided in this Knowledge Base article.
- Table-level recovery is supported for database tables with no external dependencies.
- If you plan to restore database schema objects, consider that 'Replace' logic is not supported - that is, if an object with the same name exists in the production database and in the backup, then a backup object will not replace the existing one, but an object with a different name will be created instead, as described in the Restoring Database Schema and Data. Also, consider that when objects are renamed, relationships between them are not renamed.
- If both Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle Server are installed on one VM, and this VM is processed by a job with log backup enabled for both applications, Veeam Backup & Replication will back up only Oracle transaction logs. Microsoft SQL Server transaction logs will not be processed.