You can use Veeam Agent for Linux to create transactionally consistent backups of servers that run Oracle database systems. If you use Veeam Agent for Linux with Veeam Backup & Replication, you can use Veeam Explorer for Oracle to restore Oracle databases from a Veeam Agent backup.
Consider the following:
To process Oracle database systems with Veeam Agent for Linux, you must enable application-aware processing for the backup job.
- If you work with Veeam Agent for Linux using the control panel, you configure application-specific settings at the Advanced step of the Backup Job wizard. To learn more, see Oracle Database Processing Settings.
- If you work with Veeam Agent for Linux using the command line interface, you must create the backup job and then specify oracle processing settings for this job. To learn more, see Creating Volume-Level Backup Job and Configuring Oracle Processing Settings.
If you enable Oracle processing settings for the backup job, during the job session Veeam Agent for Linux collects information about the database and processes archived logs according to the job settings.
Archive Log Processing
Database archived logs are created by the Oracle system. The Oracle database can run in one of the following logging modes:
- ARCHIVELOG turned on — logs are saved and can be used for recovery purposes.
- ARCHIVELOG turned off — no archived logs are saved. This mode is not recommended as it does not provide for proper disaster recovery.
With ARCHIVELOG turned on, the Oracle system stores database archived logs to a certain location on the machine that runs the database system, as specified by the database administrator. Veeam Agent for Linux allows you to set up the following ways of log handling:
- Delete logs older than the specified time (in hours). After the backup job completes, Veeam Agent for Linux deletes archived logs that are older than the specified time from the Veeam Agent computer. This helps make sure that logs do not overflow the storage space on the Veeam Agent computer.
- Delete oldest logs larger than the specified size (in GB). After the backup job completes, Veeam Agent for Linux checks whether the total size of archived logs exceeds the specified size. After that, Veeam Agent for Linux deletes oldest archived logs that exceed the specified size from the Veeam Agent computer. This helps make sure that logs do not overflow the storage space on the Veeam Agent computer.
- Do not delete archived logs. Log files remain untouched on the Veeam Agent computer.
Requirements and Limitations for Oracle Database Processing
- Veeam Agent for Linux supports processing of Oracle database version 11.2 and later.
- Automatic Storage Management (ASM) is not supported.
- Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) are not supported.
- Oracle Database Express Edition is not supported.
- Oracle Database architectures with Data Guard and passive instances are not supported.
- Configurations with multiple installations of Oracle Database and/or multiple Oracle homes on the same server are not supported.