Restoring Veeam Agent Backup to Hyper-V VM
You can use the Veeam Backup & Replication console to restore a Veeam Agent computer as a Hyper-V VM in your virtualization environment. For instant recovery to a Hyper-V VM, you can use Veeam Agent backups created on the Veeam backup repository. You cannot perform this operation with Veeam Agent backups created on the Veeam Cloud Connect repository.
A restored Hyper-V VM has the same settings as a backed-up Veeam Agent computer. During the restore process, Veeam Backup & Replication retrieves settings of the Veeam Agent computer from the backup and applies them to the target VM. These settings include:
- Amount of RAM
- Number of CPU cores
- Number of network adapters
- Network adapter settings
- BIOS UUID (If you do not want to preserve the backed-up machine UUID for a Hyper-V VM, you can create a new UUID during the instant VM recovery configuration process.)
- Number of disks and volumes
- Size of volumes
If you restore a Veeam Agent computer to a Hyper-V VM, consider the following:
- You cannot recover a EFI-based Veeam Agent computer that runs Windows 7, Windows Sever 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 to a Hyper-V VM. These OSes can be restored only to a Generation 1 VM that does not support EFI. To learn more, see this Microsoft article.
- Make sure that the target host has enough resources for a new VM. Otherwise, your VM will reduce the target host performance.
- Veeam Agent computer disks are recovered as dynamically expanding virtual disks.
- By default, Veeam Backup & Replication automatically powers on a VM after restore. If you do not want to power on a VM after restore, you can change this setting during the instant VM recovery configuration process.
The procedure of instant recovery for a Veeam Agent computer practically does not differ from the same procedure for a VM. The main difference from instant VM recovery is that you do not need to select the recovery mode, because Veeam Agent computers are always restored to a new location. To learn more about instant VM recovery, see the Performing Instant Recovery of Workloads to Hyper-V VMs section in the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.