The Veeam Agent management functionality is licensed by the number of instances. Instances are units (or tokens) that you can use to protect your machines (servers and workstations) with Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows, Veeam Agent for Linux, and Veeam Agent for Mac. The number of instances that you can use depends on the type of license installed in Veeam Backup & Replication:
- Per-instance license. If you use a per-instance license in Veeam Backup & Replication, the number of servers and workstations that you can process with Veeam Agents depends on the edition of Veeam Backup & Replication and the number of instances in the license. For more information, see Veeam Licensing Policy.
- Per-socket license. If you use a perpetual per-socket license in Veeam Backup & Replication, the product allows you to use up to 6 instances to process Veeam Agents. If the number of sockets in your license is less than 6, you can use the number of instances that equals the number of sockets in the license. For example, if the number of sockets in the license is 5, you can use 5 instances. If the number of sockets in the license is 7, you can use 6 instances.
Note that you can use Veeam Agents to protect VMs residing on a virtualization host that consumes a per-socket license. In this scenario, Veeam Agents will not consume instances in the license.
- Community edition. If you do not install a license in Veeam Backup & Replication, you can use the Community edition of the product. The Community edition of Veeam Backup & Replication allows you to use 10 instances. Functionality available in the Community edition of Veeam Backup & Replication is the same as in the Standard edition of the product.
For more information on Veeam Backup & Replication licensing, see the Licensing section in the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.
Managing Instance Consumption by Veeam Agents
After Veeam Agent connects to the Veeam backup server, Veeam Agent starts using instances in the license. You can restrict license consumption for Veeam Agents, for example, if you want to use Veeam Backup & Replication to process VMs and do not want Veeam Agents to use instances in the license.
To restrict instance consumption by Veeam Agents:
- From the main menu, select License.
- In the License Information window, click the Instances tab.
- On the Instances tab, clear the Allow unlicensed agents to consume instances check box.
- Click Close.