Step 6. Configure VM Availability Options
[This step is available if you have selected the Restore to a new location, or with different settings option at the Restore Mode step of the wizard.]
At the Availability Options step of the wizard, you can specify in which availability zone or availability set to place restored Azure VMs, and which disk type to use:
- [For unmanaged disks] To select a disk type that will be used with the restored VMs, do the following:
- In the Virtual machines list, select the necessary VM and click Storage.
- In the Storage type window, select the necessary disk type. For unmanaged disks, also select from the Storage account list an Azure storage account to which you want to restore disks of the selected VM.
For a storage account to be displayed in the Storage account list, it must be created in the Microsoft Azure portal as described in Microsoft Docs.
- To specify an availability set or zone, do the following:
- In the Virtual machines list, select the necessary VMs and click Availability.
- In the Availability Options window, do the following:
- To place the VMs in an availability zone, select Availability zone. Then select the necessary zone.
- To include the VMs in an availability set, select Availability set.
For an availability set to be displayed in the drop-down list, it must be created in the Azure portal. Also, the availability set must be in the same region and resource group as the restored VMs. Otherwise, the availability set may not be displayed.
You cannot include managed VMs into unmanaged availability sets, and unmanaged VMs into managed availability sets.
For more information on availability sets and zones, see Microsoft Docs.