Starting from Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5, information about backups created on the cloud repository is stored in the Veeam Backup & Replication database not only on the tenant backup server but also on the SP backup server. Keeping information about tenant backups on the SP side is required for advanced backup scenarios related to the cloud repository. For example, Veeam Backup & Replication on the SP backup server uses this information to provide the scale-out backup repository functionality to tenants.
Tenants who have upgraded to Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 or later also need to upgrade backups that were created on the cloud repository with an earlier version of the product. Until a backup is upgraded, a tenant cannot run the backup job with which this backup was created. However, a tenant can perform data recovery operations with backups that are not upgraded yet.
The backup upgrade operation is required only for tenants who have upgraded to version 9.5 or later from an earlier version of Veeam Backup & Replication. Tenants who continue using an earlier version of Veeam Backup & Replication can run backup jobs targeted at the cloud repository without limitations described above.
During the backup upgrade process, Veeam Backup & Replication performs the following operations:
- Rearranges information about the upgraded backup in the Veeam Backup & Replication database on the tenant backup server.
- If the encryption option was enabled for the job, Veeam Backup & Replication encrypts sensitive information related to the upgraded backup: names of backed-up VMs, information about VM disks in backup, installed guest OS and applications.
- Transmits information about the upgraded backup to the Veeam Backup & Replication database on the SP backup server.
When you launch the Veeam Backup & Replication console on the tenant backup server for the first time after upgrade to version 9.5 or later, Veeam Backup & Replication displays the Components Update window and prompts you to upgrade cloud backups along with components installed on managed servers.
To upgrade cloud backups:
- In the Components Update window, check the list of backups that require upgrade.
- Make sure that check boxes next to backups that you want to upgrade are selected and click Next.
If the SP is unavailable at the time of backup upgrade, you can run the Components Update wizard at any time later from the main product menu, or by closing and re-opening the Veeam Backup & Replication console. Until a backup is upgraded, Veeam Backup & Replication displays a warning icon next to this backup. Veeam Backup & Replication also displays a warning icon next to the Cloud node in the inventory pane until all backups are upgraded.
You can also upgrade backups individually, one by one. To upgrade a backup:
- Open the Home view.
- In the inventory pane, click Backups > Cloud.
- Start the backup upgrade process in one of the following ways:
- In the working area, select the necessary backup and click Upgrade on the ribbon.
- In the working area, right-click the necessary backup and select Upgrade.