Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager is a part of the data encryption and decryption processes implemented in the Veeam solution. Thus, best practices recommend deploying Enterprise Manager in the following scenarios:
- If you are using encryption for backup or backup copy jobs. In case you have enabled password loss protection for the connected Veeam backup servers, backup files will be encrypted with an additional private key which is unique for each instance of Enterprise Manager. This will allow Enterprise Manager administrators to unlock backup files using a challenge/response mechanism, effectively acting as a Private Key Infrastructure (PKI).
- If an organization has a Remote Office/Branch Office (ROBO) deployment. You can leverage Enterprise Manager to provide site administrators with granular restore access via web UI (rather than providing access to Veeam Backup & Replication console).
- If you need to elevate the 1st line support to perform in-place restores without administrative access. For that, Enterprise Manager delegation capabilities will be of use (supported in Enterprise and Enterprise Plus editions).
- If the organization spans multiple locations with stand-alone instances of Veeam Backup & Replication. Here Enterprise Manager will be helpful in managing licenses across these instances to ensure compliance.
- If you provide services using VMware vCloud Director, and need to allow tenants to perform restore operations (including restore of VMs, vApps, files and databases) via a convenient self-service web portal.
- When automation is essential to delivering IT services — to provide access to the Veeam RESTful API.
However, if the environment includes a single instance of Veeam Backup & Replication, you may not need to deploy Enterprise Manager, especially if you want to avoid additional SQL Server database activity and server resource consumption (which can be especially important if using SQL Server Express Edition).
Also, to make your decision on deploying Enterprise Manager, read these guidelines: http://bp.veeam.expert/resource_planning/veeam_enterprise_manager.html.