Preparing for File Browsing and Searching
If you have Veeam Backup & Replication and Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager installed, you can use Veeam indexing capabilities to facilitate file browsing and search features:
- Enable guest file system indexing on the Guest Processing step of the backup job wizard. For more information, see Configure Guest Processing Settings.
- Run the backup job with guest file system indexing enabled.
- Perform catalog replication. For more information, see Performing Catalog Replication and Indexing.
Alternatively, you can process the machine without guest file system indexing. Veeam Backup & Replication supports file-level restore not only for machines included in guest catalog, but also for those that were not indexed — for example, if indexing was disabled at restore point creation time, or if indexing operation failed. For such a machine, its selected restore point will be mounted to:
- A corresponding Veeam backup server (the one that manages the job processing this machine) — for Windows machines.
- A helper appliance — for non-Windows machines.
Then a user will be able to locate necessary files and folders and perform restore operation. For more information, see Browsing Machine Backups for Guest OS Files.
In This Section