Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Active Directory allows you to track either all changes that occurred in an object, or review attribute modifications for the selected object only.
Viewing All Object Changes
To detect changed, moved, or deleted objects since the last Active Directory backup, you can use the Compare All Objects menu command from the Home tab, which allows you to compare Active Directory objects in the backup with those in the production environment.
For object comparison, Veeam Explorer will try to access the production Active Directory Domain Services server using your current account; if it does not have permissions to access Active Directory domain, you will be prompted for a domain user name and the password to connect to the Active Directory Domain Services server. For object attribute statuses to be displayed correctly, make sure the the account you specify has enough rights to view object attributes.
Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Active Directory detects common attribute changes displaying the object status:
- Changed, Moved, Tombstone (if a corresponding Active Directory tombstone object exists and can be used for restore),
- Deleted (if no tombstone object exists). For details on Tombstone and Deleted objects recovery, please refer to the Considerations and Recommendations section.
Objects will have the Unknown status in case when a user started browsing the database with the Compare mode turned on, then tried to proceed with browsing underlying objects (domain services servers or containers) without sufficient access rights and did not supply credentials when prompted. To display a proper status, make sure that the user account has sufficient rights to access the database and its underlying objects.
Veeam can combine statuses to represent the most accurate object state. For example, if object attributes have been changed and the object was moved to a different location, then the object status will be shows as Moved, Changed. You can also use the Show Changed Objects Only ribbon menu command to display only objects with non-empty Status field. This feature is available when you have the Compare mode selected.
Viewing Selected Object Changes
To review attribute modifications for a single object, right-click the object and select Compare Selected Object from the shortcut or ribbon menu on the Objects tab. If selected object status has been changed to Tombstone, a corresponding message will be displayed.
The Compare Attributes window show attribute changes, containing Name, Backup Value, and Production Value for modified object attributes. The following options are available:
- To display both, changed and preserved attributes, select the Show unchanged attributes check box; changed attributes will be displayed with the bold font.
- To display system attributes (hidden by default), select the Show system attributes check box.
- To review changes of linked or multi-valued attributes, double-click the attribute.
- To select one or more attributes from the list, use CTRL and Shift keys.
- To restore selected attribute values from backup to production Active Directory, click Restore button that initiates 1-Click Restore process.
During the restore process, the "Replace" logic will be applied; when restoring mail attributes, no automatic mailbox re-connect will be performed.