To install and use Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange as a component of Veeam Backup & Replication, make sure that all necessary system requirements for Veeam Backup & Replication are met. Requirements specific for Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange are listed in the table below.
To install and use Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange as a component of Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365, check the requirements listed here.
Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange supports mailbox database files created with 64-bit versions of the Microsoft Exchange systems.
To open mailbox databases, Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange requires a service dynamic link library (ese.dll) which is installed together with Microsoft Exchange.
Important! Veeam Explorer installed on Windows 2008 machine may be unable to open Exchange Server 2016 CU5 (or newer) databases using the corresponding version of ese.dll. See the Considerations and Limitations section for detailed description and work-around.
Note: Veeam Backup & Replication quiesces the application and creates a snapshot for the Exchange Server VM, and for restore purposes it communicates with Exchange through the Client Access Server. Thus, restore of mailbox items will be supported regardless of membership of an Exchange Server in the DAG and IP address assigned to the DAG (in particular, in case of IP-less DAG in Exchange 2013 SP1 and later).
If you plan to export folders and items as Personal Folder Files (.pst), it is necessary to have a 64-bit version of Microsoft Outlook 2016, Microsoft Outlook 2013 or Microsoft Outlook 2010 installed on the machine where Veeam Explorer runs.
Important! For Microsoft Outlook 2016 the preliminary releases, like Insider releases, or releases provided through Monthly Channel Updates are not supported; Veeam supports only RTM/GA versions of this product. See https://products.office.com/en-us/office-insider?tab=Windows-Desktop and https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Overview-of-update-channels-for-Office-365-ProPlus-9ccf0f13-28ff-4975-9bd2-7e4ea2fefef4?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US to read more.
Consider the following:
- Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange does not support backups that contain Microsoft Exchange 2007 data. To learn more about recovering from such backups, see the How to Restore from Microsoft Exchange 2007 with Veeam Backup and Replication knowledge base article.
- If you plan to restore mail items from an Exchange Server VM running Microsoft Windows ReFS, consider that Veeam backup server or management console (that is, the machine where Veeam Explorer and the mount service are running) must be installed on the Microsoft Windows Server 2012 or later.
- To restore from a server running Microsoft Windows ReFS 3.x, Veeam backup server or management console (that is, the machine where Veeam Explorer and the mount service are running) must be installed on the Microsoft Windows Server 2016.
- If you are going to use Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange to restore data backed up by Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 v1.5 and plan to use PowerShell cmdlets for restore, consider that Windows PowerShell 2.0 or later will be required; PowerShell 4.0 recommended.
- Restore of mailbox datastore from backup created by Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 2.0 (and later) requires integration with Veeam Backup & Replication to be set up, as described in the product documentation.
- The machine hosting Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange may not belong to the same domain as the original (backed up) Exchange server.
See also "Restoring Guest OS Files - Before You Begin" section of the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide and How It Works section of this document.