The following steps describe the overall process when recovering Oracle databases using Veeam Explorer for Oracle.
- User starts Veeam Explorer for Oracle using Veeam Backup & Replication console. Veeam Explorer obtains Oracle hierarchy information.
- The ‘Restore’ command mounts Oracle VM file system from the backup to the Oracle server. The mount routine is performed using a machine running Veeam Mount Service. Typically, production Oracle server is used as a mount target. When a VM is mounted to the specified server, the following corresponding directories are created (depending on the platform):
- C:\VeeamFLR folder on Windows system
- /tmp/Veeam.Mount.XXX on Linux system
- Veeam Explorer for Oracle utilizes native Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN) to perform database restore operations by sending database file paths and other necessary information to RMAN. After database files are restored (database is ‘re-created’) on the target Oracle server, it becomes ready for use.
If a user follows a restore scenario that requires log replay, this operation is performed on the target server.
In This Section