You can use Microsoft SharePoint Item Restore Wizard to obtain a database file. The wizard will do the following:
- A SharePoint topology for available backups is created with the application-aware image processing feature enabled (to read more about this option, refer to Veeam Backup & Replication documentation).
- Perform auto-discovery of the SharePoint web sites and corresponding SQL server VMs hosting content databases.
- Display the list of available restore points for the SQL server VM.
To launch the wizard, you can take any of the following steps:
- In the Veeam Backup & Replication console, go to the Home tab, and click Restore. In the Restore Wizard window, select Application Items. You will be taken to the Step 1. Select Application of the Microsoft SharePoint Item Restore Wizard.
- In Veeam Backup & Replication, open the Home view. Select the Backups node, and in the working area on the right expand the backup or replication job with the SharePoint server you need. Select the SharePoint server VM and click Application items > Microsoft SharePoint on the toolbar in the Backup tab. Note that this course of actions can be used for regular and imported backups. You will be taken to the Step 3. Select Restore Point of the Microsoft SharePoint Item Restore Wizard.
- In Veeam Backup & Replication, open the Backup & Replication view. Select the Backups node, expand the backup or replication job with the SharePoint server in the working area. Right-click the SharePoint server VM and select Restore application items > Microsoft SharePoint content.... You will be taken to the Step 2. Select SharePoint Site of the Microsoft SharePoint Item Restore Wizard.
This method can be used only for backups or replicas that have been created with VSS-aware image processing enabled. Also, consider that it is intended for regular backups (for imported backups this command is not available in the shortcut menu; instead, use the methods described above).