This scenario allows you to recover your database to the specific point in time (which may differ from current SQL Server restore point). Database will be recovered to the closest VM restore point before the moment you specify, and then transaction log replay will be performed on the target server to bring the database to the necessary state. So, to implement this scenario, check the following:
- SQL Server transaction logging is enabled - database recovery model must be set to Full or Bulk-logged.
- Transaction log handling in the SQL Server VM backup job settings had been configured to keep log backups: the Backup logs option should be selected.
- You have SQL Server application-aware backup created successfully.
Restore to the Original Server
To restore a database to the certain point in time, do the following:
- In Veeam Explorer main window, select the required database in the navigation tree on the left.
- Select Restore Database > Restore point-in-time state to <server_name>\<instance_name>... on the toolbar, or use the same database's shortcut menu command and perform 1-Click Restore.
Restore to Another Server
To restore database to the specified point in time to another SQL Server, do the following:
- Open Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SQL Server.
- Select the required database in the navigation tree on the left.
- Select Restore Database > Restore to another server... on the toolbar, or use the same database's shortcut menu command.
- After the Restore wizard is launched, select Restore to a point in time option and use the slider to specify the necessary point, as described above. Leave the Perform restore to specific transaction check box cleared.
- Proceed to the Step 3. Specify Target SQL Server Connection Parameters step of the Restore Wizard. Go through the remaining steps of the wizard and wait for restore operation to complete.