If the tapes that you want to import were written on the same Veeam backup server, the Veeam backup database has information about them.
- When you import tapes written on a tape library with a barcode reader and information about these tapes is available in the Veeam Backup Free Edition database, Veeam Backup Free Edition immediately recognizes these tapes after importing. You will be able to view data written to these tapes and run restore procedures.
- When you import tapes written on a tape library without a barcode reader, you need to additionally inventory these tapes to be able to work with them.
To import tapes without barcode labels:
- Insert the tapes into the tape device.
- Open the Tape Infrastructure view, expand the Libraries node and select the library to which you have loaded the tapes. Click Import Tapes on the ribbon. You can also right-click the necessary library in the working area and select Import Tapes.
- The tapes will appear in the Unrecognized media pool.
- Right-click the tapes you need and select Inventory Tape.
- The tapes will be moved to the media pools in which they were originally written.
You can view the data written on these tapes and run restore procedures.
Note that if the tapes have expired, they will be overwritten by tape rotation scheme set for this media pool.