Veeam Backup Free Edition allows you to restore machines from Veeam backups to Microsoft Azure. You can use Veeam Backup Free Edition to complete the following tasks:
- Restore machines from VeeamZIP files and backups to Microsoft Azure.
- Migrate machines from the on-premises infrastructure to the cloud.
- Create a test environment in the cloud for troubleshooting, testing patches and updates and so on.
You can restore machines from the following types of backups:
- VeeamZIP files and backups created with Veeam Backup Free Edition and Veeam Backup & Replication.
- Backups of Microsoft Windows machines created with Veeam Endpoint Backup. Backups must be created at the entire machine level or volume level.
- Backups of Linux machines created with Veeam Agent for Linux. Backups must be created at the entire machine level or volume level.
For restore to Microsoft Azure, Veeam Backup Free Edition can employ the Microsoft Azure Resource Manager or classic deployment model. Veeam Backup Free Edition supports batch restore — you can launch the restore process for several VMs at a time.
Limitations for Restore to Microsoft Azure
- Veeam Backup Free Edition supports restore to Microsoft Azure for the following machines:
- Microsoft Windows machines running Windows Server 2008/Windows Vista and later
- Linux machines (see the Supported Distributions & Versions section: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/virtual-machines-linux-endorsed-distros).
- The maximum size of one disk of a VM restored to Microsoft Azure must not exceed 1023 GB. You cannot restore a machine that has disks of a greater size.
- If the system disk of an initial machine uses the GPT partitioning scheme, the number of partitions on the disk cannot exceed 4. During restore such disk will be converted to a disk with the MBR partitioning scheme.
- Veeam Backup Free Edition does not support restoring VMs to the following Azure regions:
- Azure Germany https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/overview/clouds/germany/
- Azure China https://www.azure.cn/
- The restore to Microsoft Azure functionality does not support the Azure Hybrid Use Benefit program.
You must set up correct time on the backup server. Otherwise you may not be able to add a Microsoft Azure account to Veeam Backup Free Edition, or the restore process may be failing.
- How Restore to Microsoft Azure Works
- Restore Workflow
- Configuring Initial Settings
- Creating Backup Files
- Restoring Machines