Adding Capacity Tier to Scale-Out Backup Repository
The Nutanix Mine scale-out repository can be expanded with object storage repositories for long-term and archive storage: capacity tier and archive tier. All the storage devices and systems inside the scale-out backup repository are joined into one system with a shared pool of resources.
The default infrastructure of Nutanix Mine already have backup repositories. So, this step is completely optional. You may want to add a capacity tier in the following cases:
- If you are running out of storage space.
- If your organization policies allow you to store only a certain amount of data on your extents, while the outdated data should be stored elsewhere.
- If you seek to store data on several sites to ensure its safety in case of a disaster.
See in this section:
The capacity tier consists of a single capacity extent. The capacity extent can be a cloud-based object storage repository or on-premises object storage repository, such as:
- S3-compatible object storage repository
- Amazon S3
- Microsoft Azure Blob Storage
- Microsoft Azure Data Box
- IBM Cloud Object Storage
- Google Cloud Object Storage
To add a capacity tier to the Mine scale-out backup repository, perform the following steps:
- Add a cloud-based repository to the Veeam Backup & Replication infrastructure.
Before you can use an object storage repository as a capacity tier, you must add it to the Veeam Backup & Replication infrastructure. For instructions on how to add Azure Blob, Amazon S3, IBM Object Storage or S3 compatible storage as an object storage repository, see the Adding Object Storage Repositories of the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.
- Add the cloud-based repository as a capacity extent:
- In the Veeam Backup & Replication console, open the Backup Infrastructure view.
- In the inventory pane, click Scale-out Repositories.
- In the working area, select the scale-out repository and click Edit Scale-out Repository on the ribbon or right-click the scale-out backup repository and select Properties.
- Move to the Performance tier step of the wizard.
- Click Add and follow instructions in the Add Capacity Tier section of the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.