Limitations and Considerations
Before you start using Veeam Backup & Replication within the Nutanix Mine infrastructure, mind the following:
- Veeam Backup & Replication within the Nutanix Mine infrastructure is a configured ready-for-service product with limited access to some infrastructure elements.
You can use the Veeam Backup & Replication console to add, remove or edit new backup infrastructure components but you must not connect to default backup infrastructure VMs deployed by the Foundation for Mine with Veeam VM and change their configuration manually.
If you connect to default Linux backup repositories or backup proxies and change their configuration manually, backup and restore operations may not function as expected and stable functioning of the Nutanix Mine cluster is not guaranteed. Note that such scenarios are not supported.
If you need to make any changes inside default infrastructure components, open a support case.
- Foundation for Mine with Veeam server is an essential component of the backup infrastructure. Do not delete the Foundation for Mine with Veeam VM even if the cluster deployment is already finished.
- Veeam Backup & Replication within the Nutanix Mine infrastructure does not support hardened repositories. As Mine repositories contain thin-provisioned disks, there may be the case when Veeam Backup & Replication uses full storage capacity of a repository and is not able to delete backup files from the file system.
- Nutanix Mine 3.0 supports Veeam Data Mover Service on repository VMs. By default, SSH is disabled on Linux repository VMs. Certificate-based authentication is used instead.
- If you upgrade from an older version of Nutanix Mine, credentials for Mine repositories and proxies can appear twice. You can remove the doubled records if these credentials are not currently in use. For more information, see Editing and Deleting Credential Records.
- You can deploy several Nutanix Mine clusters using the same Veeam Backup & Replication server. For example, you have deployed a new Nutanix Mine cluster and then you need to deploy another cluster. In this case, you can start the Nutanix Mine cluster deployment wizard and specify the Veeam Backup & Replication server from the first cluster.
You cannot expand a Nutanix Mine cluster to make more pairs of proxy (Microsoft Windows VMs) and repository (Linux VMs). Adding nodes to a Nutanix Mine cluster will only expand a storage capacity.
If you want to add more proxy or repository VMs, build another Nutanix cluster and then deploy Nutanix Mine cluster to the existing Veeam Backup & Replication server in a separate scale-out backup repository (SOBR). For more information on a Mine Cluster deployment, see the Mine with Veeam Guide.
- In Nutanix Mine 3.0 and later, disk capacity of the VM where Veeam Backup & Replication is installed is increased to 400 GiB. Disk capacity of the VM has been increased to enable replication operations on the server.
If you want to change the default storage capacity of the Veeam Backup & Replication server, open a support case.