If you plan to perform backup and restore from Dell EMC storage snapshots, consider the following limitations:
Dell EMC VNX Block
- Veeam Backup & Replication supports LUNs that reside on Storage Pools.
- To take LUN snapshots, Veeam Backup & Replication uses the VNX snapshot technology. Make sure that you have a license that covers this technology. The SnapView snapshot technology is not supported.
Dell EMC VNX File
- A read-only checkpoint can have only 1 writable snapshot. If a read-only checkpoint already has a writable snapshot, Veeam Backup & Replication uses this writable snapshot for restore.
- Writable snapshots are not detected by the storage rescan process and are not displayed in the storage system hierarchy.
Dell EMC VNXe
In Dell EMC VNXe, you cannot export more than 1 storage snapshot for a LUN or LUN group concurrently. For this reason, Veeam Backup & Replication can perform only one task that uses storage snapshots at the same time.
In Veeam Backup & Replication, tasks have the following priority levels (starting with the highest priority): restore task > backup job > rescan task. If you start several jobs or tasks that use storage snapshots, Veeam Backup & Replication will check what priority tasks have and perform the following actions:
- If a LUN snapshot is exported for storage rescan and you start a backup job or restore task at the same time, the rescan process will fail.
- If a LUN snapshot is exported for a backup job and you start another backup job at the same time, the second backup job will be waiting until the first backup job is finished.
- If a LUN snapshot is exported for a restore task and you start a backup job at the same time, the backup job will fail (or failover to the regular processing mode if corresponding settings are enabled in the backup job).
- If a LUN snapshot is exported for a backup job and you start a restore task at the same time, the restore task will be waiting until the backup job is finished.
This limitation does not apply to Dell EMC Unity storage systems.