The SOBR Download job is initiated right after you select the Copy to performance tier option. The job collects offloaded blocks of data from object storage repositories and copies them back to the source extents from which these blocks were once offloaded. For more information, see Copying to Performance Tier.
Consider the following:
- Before copying requested data blocks, Veeam verifies whether any of such blocks exist on any of the extents of your scale-out backup repository. If found, Veeam uses these blocks instead of downloading the exact same blocks of data from the object storage repository.
- If a source extent is unable to accommodate data being copied due to lack of free storage space, Veeam will find another extent within the associated scale-out backup repository that has sufficient storage capacity to receive the data. If your scale-out backup repository has no extents other than the one running out of space, the copy will not be possible.
- If you have removed any of your extents from a scale-out backup repository without evacuating backup files with metadata, the copy will not be possible.
Backup files with metadata are created, as described in SOBR Offload Job.
- The SOBR Download job session results are saved to the configuration database and available for viewing, as described in Viewing Download Job Session Results.
The following figure shows an example of replenishing on-premises storage with the data blocks being copied from the object storage repository.
- The Figure A represents an object storage repository containing blocks of data to be copied.
- The Figure B represents extents that store backup files with metadata to be replenished.