Veeam Backup & Replication allows you to add Amazon S3 object storage repositories that contain backups created with N2WS Backup & Recovery.
N2WS Backup & Recovery is a Veeam solution that creates backups of Elastic Block Stores (EBS) disk volumes of Amazon EC2 instances. Such backups are placed directly to Amazon S3 object storage repositories which you can add to the Veeam Backup & Replication console as external repositories.
To upload backed-up data to Amazon S3 object storage, N2WS Backup & Recovery uses Veeam VM Backup API to preserve the backup structure in the native Veeam format.
The addition of Amazon S3 object storage as external repositories to the Veeam Backup & Replication console allows you to:
- Restore EC2 instances to AWS
- Restore machines to Microsoft Azure
- Restore guest OS files
- Copy EC2 backups to on-premises repositories
Mind the following:
The following figure represents the overall workflow of backed-up data upload to Amazon S3 object storage by N2WS Backup & Recovery:
- The Source Amazon EC2 instances group represents Amazon EC2 VMs.
One of these instances is hosting the N2WS server, the backup jobs of which are backing up EBS disk volumes of EC2 VMs to the Amazon S3 object storage repository.
- N2WS Backup & Recovery uploads backed-up data to the Amazon S3 object storage repository using Veeam VM Backup API.
- The Veeam backup server accesses Amazon S3 object storage over a gateway server to fetch the storage data and restore it to Target Amazon EC2 instances.