Veeam Backup & Replication comes with an extract utility that can be used to recover VMs from a full backup file (VBK). The extract utility does not require any interaction with Veeam Backup & Replication and can be used as an independent tool on Linux and Microsoft Windows machines.
The extract utility can be helpful, for example, if it is written to the tape next to full backup files. In this case, you get a possibility to recover VMs from backups at any moment of time even if backups are removed from Veeam Backup & Replication or Veeam Backup & Replication is uninstalled at all.
Mind the following limitations:
The extract utility can be utilized via two interfaces:
The extract utility is located in the installation folder of Veeam Backup & Replication, by default: %PROGRAMFILES%\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup. The folder contains three files for the extract utility:
- Veeam.Backup.Extractor.exe — utility working via the graphic user interface (can be used on Microsoft Windows machines only)
- extract.exe — utility working via the command-line interface, a version for Microsoft Windows
- extract — utility working via the command-line interface, a version for Linux
- Using the Extract Utility via the GUI
- Using the extract utility in the interactive mode
- Using the extract utility from the command line