To write events to Microsoft Windows Event Log, Veeam Backup & Replication uses its own log channel called Veeam Backup. To collect Veeam Backup & Replication event data from backup servers, you must add this channel to Log Insight agent configuration.
There are two methods to configure Log Insight agents:
- Client-side configuration. This method is recommended if you have a few Veeam backup servers on which you can manually change agent configuration.
- Server-side configuration (centralized). This method helps automate agent configuration and is recommended if you have multiple Veeam backup servers.
If you have a few Veeam servers from which you want to collect log data, you can configure the agent manually:
- Log on to the machine running Veeam Backup & Replication.
- Open the %ProgramData%\VMware\Log Insight Agent folder.
- Open the liagent.ini file for editing.
- Add the following entry to the file:
[winlog | custom]
- Save the configuration file.
- Restart VMware vRealize Log Insight Agent service.
If you have multiple Veeam backup servers from which you want to collect log data, you can configure an agent group for them in vRealize Log Insight, and apply the agent configuration to this group.
To configure an agent group:
- In the vRealize Log Insight web interface, expand the menu in the upper right corner and choose Administration.
- In the left menu, under the Management node, choose Agents.
- In the list of agent group templates, choose the Microsoft - Windows template and click the Copy Template icon.
If you cannot see the Microsoft - Windows template, install the Microsoft Windows content pack from the Log Insight Marketplace.
- In the Copy Agent Group window, customize the name and description of the template and click Copy.
- Add a filter, to group the agents installed on Veeam backup servers.
- Under Agent Configuration, open the Edit tab.
- Add the following entry:
[winlog | custom]
- Click Save Agent Group.