This example shows how to create an alarm that notifies about multiple snapshot problems. The example is based on the following scenario:
Users in your organization often forget to delete snapshots they do not use. You want Veeam ONE to notify the administrator by email about VMs with multiple snapshot problems, such as large and outdated snapshots.
To detect problems with forgotten snapshots, you can create an alarm based on two already existing alarms: Latest snapshot age and Latest snapshot size:
- Open Veeam ONE Monitor.
- At the bottom of the inventory pane, click Alarm Management.
- In the alarm management tree, select All Alarms > VMware > Virtual Machine.
- In the Actions pane on the right, click the New link.
- In the Alarm Settings window, open the General tab and specify the alarm name — Multiple snapshot problems.
- Open the Rules tab and add two rules that are based on existing alarms:
- Latest snapshot size
- Latest snapshot age
- Select check boxes for both rules and click Link on the right. In the Rule condition window, choose AND and click OK.
According to these joint rules, the alarm will be used to track snapshots that are large and outdated at the same time.
- Open the Assignment tab and do the following:
- In the Assignment for alarm section, click Add and select Infrastructure tree.
- Select an infrastructure object to which the alarm must be assigned.
- Click Assign.
- Open the Actions pane and do the following:
- Select the default action.
- From the Actions list, select Send email notification.
- In the Value filed, specify an email address of the virtual infrastructure administrator who must receive alarm notifications by email.
- From the Conditions list, select Errors and warnings.
- Click Save.
The Multiple snapshot problems alarm is based on existing alarms: Latest snapshot age and Latest snapshot size. Default thresholds for these alarms are:
- If the age of the latest snapshot is more than 48 hours, an Error alarm is triggered.
- If the size of the latest snapshot is more than 10% of the VM size, a Warning alarm is triggered. If the size of the latest snapshot is more than 20% of the VM size, an Error alarm is triggered.
According to these settings, Veeam ONE:
- Will trigger a Multiple snapshot problem Warning alarm for VMs that have snapshots with the age more than 48 hours and size more than 10% but less than 20%.
- Will trigger a Multiple snapshot problem Error alarm for VMs that have snapshots with the age more than 48 hours and size more than 20%.
The administrator will be notified about Warning and Error alarms by email.