Before you configure a backup policy, check the following prerequisites:
- The target location where you plan to store backup files must have enough free space.
- Available backup job options depend on the Veeam backup agent operation mode. For more details, see Product Editions.
- [For Veeam Backup & Replication repository targets] You can store created backups in a backup repository only if the backup server runs Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 2 or later.
- [For Veeam Backup & Replication repository targets] If you plan to use a Veeam Backup & Replication repository as a target for backups, you must pre-configure user access permissions on this backup repository. To learn more, see Setting Up User Permissions on Backup Repositories.
Backup has the following limitations:
- You cannot save the backup of entire computer on the local computer disk. Use an external hard drive or USB drive, network shared folder or backup repository as a target location.
- Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows does not back up data to which symbolic links are targeted. It only backs up the path information that the symbolic links contain. After restore, identical symbolic links are created in the restore destination.
To perform this task, a user must have one of the following roles assigned: Department Owner, Department Administrator.