Installing and Configuring Linux Master Agent
Before you start discovery and installation, you must install and configure a master agent on a Linux machine in the company infrastructure.
Before you install and configure a master agent:
- Obtain the management agent setup file.
For details, see How to Obtain Management Agent Setup File.
- Make sure that the machine that will host the master agent has access to the Internet, and network access to all computers that you want to discover in the client infrastructure.
- Make sure you have the root account or any user account with super user privileges on all computers that you want to discover.
To install a master agent:
- Log on to the machine where you want to install the master agent.
- Copy the agent installation package (LinuxAgentPackages.sh) on a machine where you want to install the master agent.
Make sure that you have permission to execute the installation package file.
- Install the package with the following command:
sudo sh <...>/'LinuxAgentPackages.sh'
sudo bash <...>/'LinuxAgentPackages.sh'
<...> — path to the directory where you have saved the LinuxAgentPackages.sh package.
To see all available actions for managing the master agent, use the following command: veeamconsoleconfig -h.
To configure a master agent:
- Use the following command:
sudo veeamconsoleconfig -g add <gateway>:<port> -t <company_name\\username> (<password>) --validate_cert <thumbprint>
- <gateway> — FQDN or IP address of a cloud gateway.
- <port> — the port on the cloud gateway that is used to transfer data to Veeam Service Provider Console.
- <company_name\\username> and <password> — user credentials of a Company Owner or a Subtenant.
If the password contains special characters, you must provide the password in the '<password>' format.
- [optional] <thumbprint> — thumbprint of the security certificate that is installed on the Veeam Service Provider Console server.
It is strongly recommended to provide a certificate thumbprint for automated verification of the security certificate. Do not use the --validate_cert command with -f argument.
Management agent will connect to Veeam Service Provider Console server and verify the security certificate.
- If you did not specify a certificate thumbprint, you will be asked to verify the security certificate.
After you verify the certificate, management agent will restart and apply connection settings automatically.
- Wait for the agent to connect to Veeam Service Provider Console.
What You Can Do Next
If a company has more than one location, you must set a location for the master agent.
By default, all new master agents you install belong to the default company location. If the master agent belongs to a non-default location, you must explicitly set this location for the agent.
For details on setting locations, see Setting Locations.