Backup Infrastructure Components
The backup infrastructure of Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV includes the following components:
- Veeam Backup & Replication: a starting point in the deployment process. In the Veeam Backup & Replication console, you can add components required to protect Nutanix AHV VMs.
- Nutanix AHV Plug-in: an installer component that deploys AHV Backup Proxy services on the Veeam Backup & Replication server. After you install Nutanix AHV Plug-in, you can add AHV clusters and AHV Backup Proxy instances to the Veeam Backup & Replication infrastructure.
- AHV Backup Proxy: the main component that manages backup and restore processes. AHV Backup Proxy allows you to create VM backups, snapshots and restore VMs from backups to an AHV cluster.
AHV Backup Proxy is deployed as a VM on the AHV cluster. For one Nutanix AHV cluster, one AHV Backup Proxy is required. To back up and restore VMs on multiple clusters, you will need to deploy an AHV Backup Proxy appliance on each cluster.
AHV Backup Proxy includes the following additional components:
- Data Mover: a service that transports VM backup data from AHV cluster to backup repositories.
- AHV Backup Proxy web console: a web console that allows you to manage backup and restore operations, configure notifications and configure settings of AHV Backup Proxy.
- Backup repository: a storage location where AHV Backup Proxy stores backup files. The backup repository also includes a Data Mover service that is responsible for receiving VM backup data from the AHV cluster.
You can add multiple repositories and select the required one within settings of a specific backup job. For the list of supported repository types, see Configure Backup Repository.