Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV is an additional component of Veeam Backup & Replication responsible for protection and disaster recovery tasks in the Nutanix AHV environment.
Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV uses agentless approach to back up Nutanix AHV VMs and volume groups. The solution creates image-based backups of VMs at a specific point in time. Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV retrieves the VM data block by block, compresses, deduplicates it, and forwards it to a backup repository.
Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV is an updated version of Veeam Availability for Nutanix AHV 1.0.
To manage protection and disaster recovery operations for Nutanix AHV VMs, you can use two consoles: Veeam Backup & Replication console and AHV Backup Proxy web console. Note that each console supports different functionality.
- With the AHV Backup Proxy web console, you can:
- Create backups of Nutanix AHV VMs and store them in Veeam backup repositories.
- Create VM snapshots and protection domain snapshots.
- Restore VMs from backups and snapshots to the original Nutanix AHV cluster.
- Restore VM disks and attach them to VMs running on Nutanix AHV clusters.
- With the Veeam Backup & Replication console, you can:
- Create VeeamZIP backups of Nutanix AHV VMs.
- Create backup copies of backups created by AHV Backup Proxy.
- Perform instant recovery of AHV VMs to VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Restore AHV VMs from backups or from snapshots to AHV, VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V, Microsoft Azure Blob and Amazon EC2.
- Restore VMware ESXi and Microsoft Hyper-V VMs from backups to AHV clusters.
- Restore from backups of physical machines created by Veeam Agents to AHV clusters.
- Restore VM guest OS files.
- Restore application items (Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SharePoint, Oracle Database and Microsoft SQL Server).
- Export VM disks to VMDK, VHD and VHDX formats.
Use Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV to back up VMs hosted on Nutanix AHV cluster nodes. If you want to back up and restore VMs hosted on Nutanix systems running VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V, you can use native capabilities of Veeam Backup & Replication.