Categorization Model and Methods
To present the virtual infrastructure, Veeam ONE Monitor uses the model that includes categories, groups and objects:
- Category is a logical division or a sector of the virtual infrastructure. Each category includes one or more groups.
Categories can be static or dynamic:
- Static categories include a user-defined number of groups. You can manually create groups that Veeam ONE Monitor will populate each time data collection runs.
- Dynamic categories can include one or more groups that Veeam ONE Monitor creates and populates automatically each time data collection runs.
- Group is a collection of virtual infrastructure objects that share same characteristics or match same criteria. You can think of a group as a tag assigned to an object.
Each group includes one or more objects.
- Objects are categorized elements of the virtual infrastructure.
There are four types of objects you can categorize in Veeam ONE Monitor: clusters, hosts, storage objects and virtual machines.
The following picture illustrates an example of the Veeam ONE Monitor categorization model.
In the example above, the categorization model includes categories Department and Purpose.
- Department category includes groups IT, Sales and Support
- Purpose category includes groups Fileservers and Web
Virtual machines numbered 1-8 are included in groups within both categories.
To categorize infrastructure objects into groups, you can use the following methods:
- Tag-based categorization — the default method used by Veeam ONE Monitor that allows you to import an existing categorization model from the vCenter Server.
Tag-based categorization is the only way to group datastore clusters.
- Import-based categorization — the method that allows you to import a categorization model using a CSV file. You can either synchronize Business View categorization data with categorization data from 3rd party software automatically, or categorize virtual infrastructure objects outside Veeam ONE Monitor and import this categorization data manually.
- Single-parameter categorization — the method that allows you to configure dynamic categories. Veeam ONE Monitor will create groups automatically based on the values of a single property of an object.
- Multiple-condition categorization — the method that allows you to configure static categories and create groups manually by combining multiple object properties and logical operators.
- Categorization with grouping expressions — the method that allows you to configure dynamic categories. Veeam ONE Monitor will create groups automatically based on object properties, operators and methods included into expressions.
Veeam One Monitor does not allow you to enable synchronization with both vCenter Server tags and a CSV file at the same time — when you switch between these options or select the Do not import option, Veeam ONE Monitor deletes all previously imported categories. However, you can combine either of these categorization models with custom categories and groups created using the single-parameter, multiple-condition and grouping expression categorization.