To start working with VAO RESTful API, clients must first authenticate themselves. VAO RESTful API authorization process is based on the OAuth 2.0 Authorization Framework and involves obtaining an access token and a refresh token.
- Access token is a string that represents authorization issued to the client and that must be used in all requests during the current logon session.
- Refresh token is a string that represents authorization granted to the client and that can be used to obtain a new access token when the current access token expires.
VAO RESTful API authorization process involves the following procedures:
- To obtain a pair of tokens, send the POST HTTPS request to the VAO token path. In the request body, enter the credentials of a user with the Site Administrator or Failover Plan Author privileges.
Simultaneous sessions initiated in different client applications under the same user credentials may interfere with each other. To avoid unexpected logout, use a different user account for every application.
Wait for the response from the server. A successfully completed operation returns the 200 Success response code, and also an access and refresh tokens in the response body.
Copy both tokens. Insert the access token in headers of further requests to VAO RESTful API. The refresh token must be saved locally.
- When the access token expires, or becomes invalid, use the refresh token to obtain a new pair of tokens. Send the POST HTTPS request to the VAO RESTful API token path. In the request body, enter the refresh token.
Wait for the response from the server. A successfully completed operation returns the 200 Success response code and a new pair of tokens in the response body.
- When you finish working with VAO RESTful API, log out by sending the POST HTTPS request to the v1/Accounts/Logout path. A successfully completed operation returns the 200 Success response code and the “Logout successful” message in the response body.
Authorization: Bearer 908qldKH7ZZRfCqeWBNVVbnIM5UxisItP6gSnU_pZ5-qDenA5I2T0XvynyoELoEFmUUzm17_WuodIl1yRnneI15UzsgFnxlsHdhH9KQKFWKrR08PKRh-wL_NXj8PirXUa4PjK3Dx1pE-qCJh23FrrljIjsNjWeDFd63yY4j8ldyqP7fdx6bmp-hWwergK7va89AKEuYzIr_IQNir2yZMgVnXR-FqyEVw_xf_e3sFGJw
"message": "Logout successful"