To create a failover plan:
- Log in to the VAO UI in the DR site as a Site Administrator or Failover Plan Author. For details, see Accessing VAO UI.
- Navigate to Failover Plans.
- Click Manage > New.
- Complete the New Failover Plan wizard.
- At the Site step, in the Available Sites list, select a VAO site for which you want to create the plan.
- At the Plan Name step, do the following.
Use the Plan Name and Description fields to enter a name for the new failover plan and provide a description for future reference.
You can also provide contact name, email and telephone number of a person responsible for the plan.
- At the VM Groups step, select the required VM groups and click Add to include them in the plan.
- At the VM Recovery Options step, use the If any VM recovery fails option to choose whether you want to proceed or halt plan execution in case VM recovery fails. VM criticality can also be customized later per-VM when editing the plan.
Use the Recover the VMs in each Group option to choose whether you want to recover VMs in a sequence or at the same time.
If you select to process VMs at the same time, use the Recover simultaneously max of VMs field to specify the maximum number of VMs recovered at the same time.
You must take into account the capacity of your vCenter Server, Veeam Backup & Replication server and the underlying storage and network systems when determining the Recover simultaneously max of VMs value. Otherwise, you may overload your infrastructure, and the failover plan may fail to perform.
- At the VM Steps step, use the list of plan steps available for the site to select steps to be performed for VMs in the plan during failover.
The wizard allows you to add the selected steps multiple times so you can specify more granular settings when configuring step settings.
To allow failover process to perform successfully, the Process Replica VM step should execute before any other replica/application verification steps. That is why the Process Replica VM step is the only one step that you cannot add to a plan multiple times.
- [This step applies only if you have added one or more plan steps that require Windows credentials to run in-guest OS scripts inside VMs being tested or failed over. For the full list of steps that require credentials to be provided, see Appendix. Failover Plan Steps]
At the Choose Credentials step, select credentials that will be used to access guest OSes of VMs included in the failover plan when running the added steps. To do that, select the Override Credentials check box and choose the necessary credentials from the drop-down list.
Otherwise, VAO will use the default credentials selected per-site during configuration of plan component settings, or you will have to specify the required credentials for each VM or VM group individually when editing the plan.
- At the Protect VM Groups step, use the Protect VM Groups after failover option to choose whether you want to protect VMs included in the plan with a backup job.
If you select the Protect VM Goups after failover option, you must specify a backup job to be used as a template for a new job that will back up VM replicas at the end of failover process. To do that, from the Template Job list, select the required backup job.
For a template backup job to be displayed in the Template Job list, it must be created and enabled as described in section Configuring Veeam Availability Orchestrator.
- At the Report Template step, from the Template list, select a document template that will be used to create documents for the plan.
From the Document format list, select whether you want to generate documents in the .DOCX or PDF format.
For a custom document template to be displayed in the Template list, it must be created and customized as described in section Generating Reports.
- At the Report Scheduling step, select whether you want to automatically generate the Plan Definition and Plan Readiness Check reports for the failover plan.
If you select the Update Plan Definition report daily at or Perform Plan Readiness Check daily at check box, you can specify the exact time at which the report must be generated. To do that, click the Schedule icon next to the check box, set the desired time, and click Apply.
- At the Summary step, review configuration information and click Finish.