Upgrading Veeam Availability Orchestrator
Upgrade to VAO version 3.0 is supported from VAO version 2.0 only. Upgrade from VAO version 1.0 is not supported. To learn how to manually migrate VAO 1.0 deployment to version 2.0, see this Veeam KB article.
Check the following prerequisites before upgrading VAO:
- Perform backup of all existing databases that are used to store data collected from VAO, Veeam Backup & Replication and Veeam ONE, so that you can easily go back to the previous version in case of upgrade issues.
- Make sure there is enough space for upgrade of the Microsoft SQL Server configuration database. To calculate the required space, add at least 25% of free space to the size of the Microsoft SQL Server configuration database.
By default, the setup wizard installs VAO with Microsoft SQL Server Express. Mind that the maximum configuration database size for Microsoft SQL Server Express is 10 GB.
- Make sure there are no orchestration plans being tested or executed (that is, no plans are in the IN USE mode, HALTED state or any of the active states).
For the list of modes and states that a replica plan can acquire, see Running and Scheduling Replica Plans. For the list of modes and states that a restore plan can acquire, see Running and Scheduling Restore Plans.
- Make sure there are no orchestration plans scheduled to run during upgrade. Otherwise, disable the configured schedule as described in sections Scheduling Failover and Scheduling Restore.
- Make sure all active VAO UI sessions are closed.
To upgrade from VAO 2.0 to VAO 3.0, perform the following steps:
- Make sure the machine where VAO will be installed meets the prerequisite conditions described in section System Requirements.
- Download the latest version of the product installation image from the Veeam downloads page. You can burn the downloaded image file to a CD/DVD or mount the installation image to the target machine using disk image emulation software.
- Start the setup wizard.
- Accept the license agreement.
- Review components to upgrade.
- Provide a license file.
- Specify service account credentials.
- Review SQL server connection settings.
- Begin upgrade.
- Upgrade standalone Veeam Backup & Replication servers to version 10.
- [Optional] Upgrade additional Veeam ONE Monitor Client instances to version 10.
- [Optional] Upgrade the VAO UI if installed remotely.