Step 7. Review Cost Estimations
[This step applies only if you have created a schedule for the backup policy at the Schedule step of the wizard]
At the Cost Estimation step of the wizard, review the approximate monthly cost of Azure resources that will be consumed to protect the Azure VMs added to the backup policy. The total estimated cost includes the following:
- Snapshot — cost of creating and maintaining snapshots of the Azure VMs.
For each Azure VM included in the backup policy, Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure takes into account the machine type, the number of virtual disks attached, the number of restore points to be kept in the snapshot chain, and the configured scheduling settings.
- Backup — the cost of creating and maintaining image-level backups of the Azure VMs.
For each Azure VM included in the backup policy, Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure takes into account the machine type, the number of virtual disks attached, the number of restore points to be kept in the backup chain, and the configured scheduling settings.
- Traffic — the cost of transferring Azure VM data between Azure regions during data protection operations (for example, if protected Azure VM and target storage account reside in different regions).
If you get a warning message regarding additional costs associated with cross-region data transfer, you can click View details to see available cost-effective options.
- Transaction — the cost of making API requests to Microsoft Azure during data protection operations.
The estimated cost may occur to be significantly higher due to the backup frequency, cross-region data transfer and snapshot charges. To reduce the cost, you can try the following workarounds:
- To avoid additional costs related to cross-region data transfer, select a backup repository that resides in the same region as Azure VMs that you plan to back up.
- To reduce high snapshot charges, adjust the snapshot retention settings to keep less restore points in the snapshot chain.
- To optimize the cost of storing backups, configure the scheduling settings to run the backup policy less frequently.