Creating Backup Policies
To produce image-level backups of Azure VMs, Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure runs backup policies. A backup policy is a collection of settings that define the way backup operations are performed: what data to back up, where backups must be stored, when the backup process must start and so on.
One backup policy can be used to process multiple Azure VMs within different regions, but you can back up each Azure VM with one backup policy at a time. If an Azure VM is added to more than one backup policy, it will be processed only by a backup policy that has the highest priority. Other backup policies will skip this Azure VM from processing. For information on how to set a priority for a backup policy, see Setting Backup Policy Priority.
To create a backup policy, do the following:
- Launch the Add Policy wizard.
- Specify a backup policy name and description.
- Configure backup source settings.
- Configure guest processing options.
- Configure backup target settings.
- Create a schedule for the backup policy.
- Specify automatic retry settings and notification settings for the backup policy.
- Review the estimated cost of protecting the selected Azure VMs.
- Finish working with the wizard.