Step 7. Specify Processing Options
At the Processing Options step of the wizard, choose whether you want to use a staging server to perform backup operations. To learn how Veeam Backup for Google Cloud uses staging servers to protect Cloud SQL instances, see How Backup Works.
Protecting Instances Without Staging Server
To back up the selected Cloud SQL instances without a staging server, do the following:
- In the Staging server section, select the Use production instance option.
- In the Authentication section, click Choose option.
- In the Choose authentication option window, choose the database authentication method that will be used to authenticate against the production Cloud SQL instances:
If you select the SQL Built-in option, also specify credentials of a user that Veeam Backup for Google Cloud will use to access the instance. The specified user must be assigned permissions required to perform database dumping operations.
If you select the Cloud IAM option, Veeam Backup for Google Cloud will automatically detect the unique email address associated with the service account that will be used to access the instance — that is, the service account that has been specified when adding the project to which the instance belongs to Veeam Backup for Google Cloud.
Consider the following:
Protecting Instances With Staging Server
To back up the selected Cloud SQL instances using a staging server, select the Use staging server option in the Staging server section.
When performing backup with a staging server, Veeam Backup for Google Cloud uses the default administrator account to send REST API requests to MySQL instances processed by the backup policy — that is why there is no need to specify credentials for authentication against the processed instances. However, Veeam Backup for Google Cloud is unable to use the default administrator account for PostgreSQL instances due to technical limitations — that is why you must also do the following if the backup policy protects PostgreSQL instances:
- Click Choose option in the Authentication section.
- In the Choose authentication option window, specify the name of a user that exists on all PostgreSQL instances processed by the policy. Veeam Backup for Google Cloud will create a user with the specified name and one-time password on the staging server to get access to the instance databases and to perform the backup operation.