The following table lists required permissions for data restore.
Required Roles and Permissions
For more information, see:
Restore to on-premises Microsoft SharePoint
To restore data to on-premises Microsoft SharePoint organizations, you must grant the following roles and permissions to user accounts:
Restore to Microsoft Office 365
To restore data to SharePoint Online organizations, you must grant the following roles and permissions to user accounts:
Restore Using Basic Authentication Method
Restore Using Modern Authentication Method
Consider the following:
- The current account can only be used to access a local staging server. To connect to a remote server, use appropriate authentication credentials to access that server.
- The account requires the sysadmin fixed server role on a staging Microsoft SQL server.
- For ADFS as an authentication provider:
- When using Windows Authentication, you can use both you current account or provide another account.
- When using Forms Authentication, the current account cannot be used.