Step 3. Select Authentication Method
At this step of the wizard, choose whether you want to use modern or basic authentication.
To use modern authentication, do the following:
- From the Specify authentication method drop-down list, select Modern authentication.
This will allow Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 to use an Azure AD application for a restore. Such an application is used to restore the specified mailbox back to Office 365 organizations with enabled multi-factor authentication (MFA) and enabled or disabled security defaults. For more information, see Microsoft Office 365 Organizations.
- From the Region drop-down list, select a region to which your Exchange Online organization belongs.
- In the Organization name field, enter a name of your Exchange Online organization.
Make sure that the organization name matches the name specified at the previous step.
- In the Application ID field, enter an identification number of the Azure AD application that you want to use for a restore.
By default, Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange populates this field with an identification number of the application that was used during a backup session. If you want to use another application, make sure to grant this application required permissions, as described in Azure AD Applications.
To use basic authentication, do the following:
- From the Specify authentication method drop-down list, select Basic authentication.
- Enter credentials to connect to the Exchange organization.
When restoring to an on-premises Exchange server, make that the account that you use has both the Exchange Admin and the Global Admin roles.