To add a new repository, do the following:
- Open Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365.
- Go to Backup Infrastructure > Backup Repositories.
- Click Add Repository from the ribbon menu. You can also use the Add backup Repository command from the context menu.
- Specify the repository name and optional description. Click Next.
- Specify a backup proxy server to work with the new repository. Also specify the repository location. Click Get free space to know the available free space. Keep in mind that you will not be able to change the backup proxy in future. Nor you will be able to change the path. See Editing Repository Settings.
- Specify the retention policy. See the Retention Policy section for details. Default retention period is 3 years.
- Retention policy for mailbox items – use this drop-down list to specify the retention period for archived data.
You can select any value from the list, including Keep forever. You can also select Specified number of days and specify the value you need. Remember that mail items older than the specified retention period will not be archived and those already stored in the repository will be deleted once the retention policy is applied.
- Apply retention policy – use these options to specify how frequently retention settings should be applied to data in the repository. When applying retention, the retention period starting point is set to the current date.
- Click Finish to save the settings and close the wizard.
It is not recommended to use Veeam Backup & Replication repositories due to many differences in data structure. Plan for a dedicated storage of your mailbox data archived by Veeam Backup for Office 365.