For enhanced scalability and load balance in distributed environments, Veeam offers a new scalable architecture of the Veeam Backup for Office 365 solution consisting of the following components:
- Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 server. A central management component that manages licenses and global settings such as list of exclusions and email notifications for the backup proxies. The RestfulAPI service is also running on this server.
- Proxies. Components that handle data backup routine. A backup proxy can be deployed on a physical or using a virtual machine. Initially, a default backup proxy is installed on the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 server during the setup. Users are able to deploy more proxies to optimize data processing. Each proxy can process one or several Exchange organizations; an organization can be processed by one or several proxies using “many-to-many” connections between proxies and organizations.
- Repository. A folder, local or a shared one (experimental mode), where backup data is stored. Each repository is associated with a backup proxy. You can configure more than one repository per proxy. For example, a backup proxy can back up HQ mailboxes to the Repository 11, and remote office mailboxes to the Repository 12 according to the figure below.
- Microsoft Exchange Organization. An Exchange Online, on-premises or hybrid organization. Each organization can be processed by one or several backup proxies simultaneously.
- Job. A collection of configuration settings for organization data backup. Such jobs represent a backup policy for the organization mailboxes. Each job defines what mailboxes to backup and what data to exclude, what repository storage to use (from those associated with the backup proxy), and specifies data collection schedule.
For example, in the figure above you can see:
- Two jobs processed by a single proxy but using different repositories (Job 11 and Job 12).
- Two jobs processed by a single proxy (Job 21 and Job 22), both storing data in a single repository.
- A simple configuration scenario where an organization is processed by only one job using a single repository (Job 31).
Scenarios with multiple jobs and multiple repositories may be recommended for service providers. It may be reasonable to configure backup jobs for the organization considering geographical locations of ROBOs, administrative boundaries or business units.
In This Section
- How Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Works
- Applications and Components
- Configuration Database
- Repository Files