When you recover guest OS files from Windows-based VMs, Veeam Backup & Replication mounts the content of a backup file directly to the Veeam backup server and displays the file tree in the built-in file browser. You can copy the files you need and save them locally or anywhere on the network. You can even point applications to restored files and work with these files as usual.
- You can restore VM guest OS files from any backup that has been successfully run at least once. Open the Backup & Replication view, select the Backups node in the inventory pane. Then expand the backup job and check if there is at least one restore point available for the VM.
- Windows file restore mode supports Microsoft Windows file systems only (FAT, NTFS and ReFS). To restore files from VMs running other file systems, use the multi-OS file restore wizard.
- You cannot restore files from a VM if it is currently being backed up or replicated.
To restore guest OS files from a Microsoft Windows VM:
- Open the Backup & Replication view.
- In the inventory pane, select the Backups > Disk node. Expand the backup job in the working area, right-click a necessary VM in the corresponding backup job and choose Restore guest files > Microsoft Windows.
- At the Restore Point step of the wizard, select the necessary restore point.
- At the Reason step of the wizard, specify the reason for future reference.
- At the last step of the wizard, click Finish.
- Veeam Backup & Replication will display the Backup Browser window with the file system tree of the VM. Right-click the necessary file or folder, select Copy To and browse to the C:\Restored in the Choose folder field.
- Close the Backup Browser.
- Rescan the file hierarchy on the backup server.
Open the Backup Infrastructure view. In the inventory pane, select Managed Servers. In the list of managed servers, right-click the backup server and choose Rescan. Wait for the rescan task to complete and close the window with rescan results.
- Check restored files on the backup server.
Open the Files view. In the inventory pane, expand the file tree under the backup server. Select C:\Restored folder and make sure that the restored files or folders are available there.