Veeam Backup & Replication allows you to restore specific VM files: VMDK, VMX and others. The latter recovery scenario can be used, for example, if one of your VM files is missing or is corrupted and you need to bring it back. With Veeam Backup & Replication, you can restore the required VM file directly from the image-level backup, without prior de-staging of the VM image from the backup file.
VM files can be recovered to the latest state or to any valid point in time; you can bring them to the original location or to a new location.
You can restore VM files from any backup that has been successfully run at least once. Open the Home view, select the Backups node in the inventory pane. Then expand the backup job and check if there is at least one restore point available for the VM.
To restore a VM configuration file, do the following:
- Open the Home view.
- In the inventory pane, select the Backups > Disk node. Expand the backup job in the working area, right-click a necessary VM in the corresponding backup job and choose Restore VM files.
- At the Restore Point step of the wizard, select the necessary restore point. If you select an incremental restore point, Veeam Backup & Replication will automatically restore data blocks from the full backup file and the chain of incremental backup files.
- At the Restore Destination step of the wizard, specify a folder to which VM files must be restored.
- In the Destination list, choose the backup server.
- In the Path to folder field, specify a path to the folder to which VM files must be restored, for example: C:\Restored.
- In the VM files to restore section, select a check box next to the VMX file.
- At the Reason step of the wizard, specify the reason for future reference and click Next.
- At the last step of the wizard, click Finish to restore the VM file.
- Rescan the file hierarchy on the backup server.
Open the Backup Infrastructure view. In the inventory pane, select Managed Servers. In the list of managed servers, right-click the backup server and choose Rescan. Wait for the rescan task to complete and close the window with rescan results.
- Check restored files on the backup server.
Open the Files view. In the inventory pane, expand the file tree under the backup server. Select C:\Restored folder and make sure that the restored VMX file is available there.