Backup infrastructure of Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV includes the following components:
- Veeam Backup & Replication: within this infrastructure, Veeam Backup & Replication is a starting point in the deployment process. In the Veeam Backup & Replication console, you can add components required to back up and restore of VMs residing on AHV clusters.
- Nutanix AHV Plug-in: an installer component that installs AHV Backup Proxy services on the Veeam Backup & Replication server. After you install Nutanix AHV Plug-in, you can add AHV clusters and AHV Backup Proxy to the Veeam Backup & Replication infrastructure and back up VMs residing on an AHV cluster.
- Veeam Backup & Replication AHV Backup Proxy: a Linux-based virtual machine that manages backup and restore processes. AHV Backup Proxy allows to create VM backups, snapshots and restore VMs to an AHV cluster.
AHV Backup Proxy is deployed on the protected AHV cluster and includes the following additional components:
- Data Mover: a service that transports VM backup data from AHV cluster to backup repositories.
- AHV Backup Proxy web console: a web console that allows you to operate AHV Backup Proxy. Apart from managing backup and restore processes you can configure notifications and manage settings of AHV Backup Proxy.
- Backup repository: a storage location where AHV Backup Proxy stores backup files. The backup repository also includes the Data Mover service that is responsible for receiving VM backup data from the AHV cluster.
You can add multiple repositories and select the required one within the specific backup job settings. For the list of supported repository types, see Configure Backup Repository.
AHV Backup Proxy is deployed as a VM on a Nutanix AHV cluster. For one Nutanix AHV cluster, one AHV Backup Proxy is required. To back up and restore VMs on multiple clusters, you will need to deploy an AHV Backup Proxy appliance on each cluster.
To manage backup files and jobs created by AHV Backup Proxy, you can use two consoles: Veeam Backup & Replication console and AHV Backup Proxy web console. Note that each console supports different functionality.