Categorization with Grouping Expressions
Grouping expressions are used to find infrastructure objects that share common properties. When you configure categorization with grouping expression, Veeam ONE Monitor creates a set of groups, and includes objects with matching attributes into these groups.
Groups created using the grouping expression method have dynamic membership. If the property value changes, the objects can be moved into another group or excluded from categorization when the next data collection runs.
For example, you can categorize VMs based on their memory value using the following expression:
WHEN Memory >= "2048"
THEN "More than 2GB"
ELSE "Less than 2GB"
Veeam ONE Monitor will create two groups: More than 2GB, and Less than 2GB. If the amount of memory allocated to a VM changes, this VM will be moved into another group next time data collection runs.
To categorize infrastructure objects using a grouping expression:
- Open Veeam ONE Monitor.
- In the inventory pane, click Business View node.
- Launch the Categorization Wizard:
- In the information pane, switch to the Categories tab.
- In the Actions pane, click Add Category.
Alternatively, in the Business View tree, right-click the main node and select Add Category.
- At the Name and Object Type step of the Categorization Wizard, enter a category name and an object type.
- At the Categorization Method step of the Categorization Wizard, select the Grouping expression option.
- At the Grouping Criteria step of the Categorization Wizard, specify an expression that Veeam ONE must use to create groups and distribute infrastructure objects in these groups.
- Click the Editor button to open the Grouping Expression Editor.
- In the menu of the Grouping Expression Editor on the left, double click an item to add it to the Expression field.
- Click Save to save the expression and exit the editor.
The expression will appear in the Expression field at the Grouping Criteria step of the Categorization Wizard.
For details on the syntax of grouping expressions and examples, see the Veeam One Monitor User Guide, section Appendix B. Grouping Expressions Syntax and Examples.
- Click the Verify button to validate the expression. Click OK to acknowledge the verification.
- Click Save to close the Categorization Wizard.
Veeam ONE Monitor will run the expression and create groups based on the specified properties.