Application Item Restore from Storage Snapshots
Veeam Backup & Replication allows you to restore different application items from a storage snapshot.
Veeam Backup & Replication integrates with Veeam Explorers to let you restore items from the following applications:
- Microsoft Active Directory
- Microsoft Exchange
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Microsoft SQL Server
When you perform application item restore, Veeam Backup & Replication automatically extracts the application databases from a storage snapshot and opens them in Veeam Explorer.
How Restore Works
As part of this procedure, Veeam Backup & Replication performs the following actions:
- Veeam Backup & Replication creates a clone/virtual copy of a storage snapshot and mounts the clone/virtual copy to an ESXi host.
- Veeam Backup & Replication accesses the configuration file of the virtualized application server (VMX) on the snapshot clone/virtual copy and uses this configuration file to register a temporary VM on the ESXi host.
- Veeam Backup & Replication mounts disks of the application server to the temporary VM.
- Veeam Backup & Replication locates the application databases and opens them in Veeam Explorer.
Requirements for Application Item Restore
Before you restore application items from a storage snapshot, check the following requirements:
- You must add the storage system to the backup infrastructure.
- You must check limitations for data recovery from storage snapshots.
- [For storage systems working over Fibre Channel] To let Veeam Backup & Replication present snapshots of LUNs to an ESXi host, you must register the ESXi host with a WWN ID on the storage system.
- [For NetApp ONTAP storage systems] Depending on the storage type, you may need to install additional licenses on the storage system. For more information, see Required Licenses for NetApp.
Performing Application Item Restore
For information on performing application item restore, see the Restoring Application Items section in the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.