Step 6. Review Estimated Cost
[This step applies only if you have created a schedule for the backup policy at the Schedule step of the wizard]
At the Cost Estimation step of the wizard, review the approximate monthly cost of GCP resources that will be consumed to protect the VM instances added to the backup policy. The total estimated cost includes the following:
- The cost of creating and maintaining cloud-native snapshots of the VM instances.
For each VM instance included in the backup policy, Veeam Backup for GCP takes into account the machine type, the number of persistent disks attached, the number of restore points to be kept in the snapshot chain, and the configured scheduling settings.
- The cost of creating and storing in backup repositories image-level backups of the VM instances.
For each VM instance included in the backup policy, Veeam Backup for GCP takes into account the machine type, the number of persistent disks attached, the number of restore points to be kept in the backup chain, and the configured scheduling settings.
- The cost of transferring the VM instance data between GCP regions during data protection operations (for example, if a protected VM instance and the target storage bucket reside in different regions).
If you get a warning message regarding additional costs associated with cross-region data transfer, you can click View details to see available cost-effective options.
- The cost of sending API requests to Google Cloud during data protection operations.
The estimated cost may occur to be significantly higher due to the backup frequency, cross-region data transfer and snapshot charges. To reduce the cost, you can try the following workarounds:
- To avoid additional costs related to cross-region data transfer, select a backup repository that resides in the same region as VM instances that you plan to back up.
- To reduce high snapshot charges, adjust the snapshot retention settings to keep less restore points in the snapshot chain.
- To optimize the cost of storing backups, configure the scheduling settings to run the backup policy less frequently.
You can save the cost estimation as a .CSV or .XML file. To do that, click Export and select the necessary format.