Performing Instance Restore
In case a disaster strikes, you can restore an entire VM instance from a cloud-native snapshot or image-level backup. Veeam Backup for GCP allows you to restore one or more VM instances at a time, to the original location or to a new location.
When restoring a VM instance, Veeam Backup for GCP recovers data from all zonal and regional persistent disks (standard, balanced and SSD) attached to the instance. However, due to technical reasons, when it comes to local SSDs (SCSI and NVMe), Veeam Backup for GCP is able to recover only the configuration of these disks, which means that any data stored on the disks is lost during the restore process.
How Instance Restore Works
To restore a VM instance from a cloud-native snapshot, Veeam Backup for GCP uses native GCP capabilities. To restore a VM instance from an image-level backup, Veeam Backup for GCP performs the following steps:
- Launches a worker instance in the GCP region where the restored VM instance will reside.
- Creates empty persistent disks and attaches them to the worker instance.
The number of empty persistent disks equals the number of persistent disks attached to the backed-up VM instance.
- Restores backed-up data to the empty persistent disks on the worker instance.
- Takes cloud-native snapshots of the persistent disks with the restored data.
- Creates disks from the snapshots in the target location.
- Removes the worker instance and all the created snapshots from the GCP environment.
- Creates a VM instance in the target location.
- Attaches the created persistent disks with the restored data to the VM instance.
- [This step applies only if you perform restore to the original location and if the source VM instance is still present in the location] Powers off the source VM instance and removes it from the GCP environment.
How to Perform Instance Restore
To restore a protected VM instance, do the following:
- Launch the Instance Restore wizard.
- Select a restore point.
- Select a project.
- Choose a restore mode.
- Select a region and Availability Zone.
- Enable encryption.
- Specify a new name and machine type for the instance.
- Configure network settings.
- Specify a restore reason.
- Finish working with the wizard.
Before you start VM instance restore, make sure that network settings are configured for each region where worker instances will be launched during the restore process. For information on how to configure network settings, see Adding Worker Configurations.