The backup repository is a storage where Veeam Backup & Replication keeps backup files and, in case of replication, metadata for replicated VMs. You can use different types of storage as the backup repository. The full list of storage types is available in the Backup Repository section in the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.
In this section, you will learn how to use a Microsoft Windows server as the backup repository. To configure the backup repository, you must add the server to the backup infrastructure and assign the role of the backup repository to it.
Before You Begin
Check the following prerequisites:
- The Microsoft Windows machine that you plan to use as a backup proxy must meet system requirements. For details, see System Requirements in the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.
- File and printer sharing must be enabled in network connection settings of the added Microsoft Windows machine. On this machine, Veeam Backup & Replication deploys the required components. Without sharing enabled, Veeam Backup & Replication fails to deploy these components.
Adding a Server
To add a server to the Veeam Backup & Replication infrastructure, do the following.
- In the inventory pane of the Backup Infrastructure view, right-click the Managed Servers node and select Add Server.
- In the Add Server window, select Microsoft Windows to launch the New Windows Server wizard.
- At the Name step of the wizard, specify the DNS name or IP address of the server that will perform the role of the backup repository.
- At the Credentials step of the wizard, enter credentials for the user account with local Administrator permissions to the added server.
To add the account, do the following:
- Click Add.
- Specify the username and password used to connect to the added server.
- Click OK.
- Follow the next steps of the wizard. At the last step of the wizard, click Finish to add the server.
- Open the Backup Infrastructure view and click the Managed Servers node. The added server must be available in the working area.
Assigning Backup Repository Role to Added Server
To assign the role of the backup repository:
- In the inventory pane, right-click the Backup Repositories node and select Add Backup Repository to launch the New Backup Repository wizard.
- In the Add Backup Repository window, click Direct attached storage >Microsoft Windows.
- At the Name step of the wizard, specify the name for the added backup repository.
- At the Server step of the wizard, select the machine that you have added.
- At the Repository step of the wizard, specify a path to the folder where backup files will be stored. In addition to them, auxiliary replica files will be placed in this folder.
- At the Mount Server step of the wizard, keep the default settings.
- At the Review step of the wizard, check the repository settings and click Finish.
- Open the Backup Infrastructure view and click the Backup Repositories node. The added backup repository must be available in the working area.
For details on the backup repository, see the Backup Repository section in the Veeam Backup & Replication User Guide.