Veeam Backup & Replication integrates with Cisco HyperFlex and allows you to improve performance of backup and replication of VMware vSphere VMs hosted on Cisco HyperFlex.
For backup and replication of VMs hosted on Cisco HyperFlex, Veeam Backup & Replication does not use VMware vSphere snapshots to preserve VMs in a consistent state suitable for backup or replication. Instead, it relies on native Cisco HyperFlex VM snapshots. Use of Cisco HyperFlex VM snapshots lets avoid the overhead produced by VMware vSphere snapshots removal on the production environment.
To create HyperFlex VM snapshots, Cisco leverages VMware vSphere Storage APIs Array Integration (VAAI). VAAI enables VMware vSphere ESX(i) hosts to communicate with storage devices and offload storage operations such as snapshot creation and cloning to the storage array. As a result, Cisco HyperFlex can create space efficient VM snapshots almost instantly. Veeam Backup & Replication, in its turn, can use HyperFlex snapshots for VM data processing, which helps speed up backup and replication operations, reduce impact of backup and replication activities on the production environment and improve RPOs.
Implementation of integration with Cisco HyperFlex is different from those provided for other supported storage systems. When Veeam Backup & Replication processes VMs hosted on Cisco HyperFlex, it leverages snapshots created at the VM level, not snapshots created at the storage volumes level. The results of the VM processing are reported in job results: if a VM is processed with Cisco HyperFlex snapshots, Veeam Backup & Replication dislays the 'Creating VM native Cisco HX snapshot' message in job statistics.
Limitations for Backup from Cisco HyperFlex Snapshots
Backup and replication of VMs hosted on Cisco HyperFlex have the following limitations:
- VMs must be hosted on Cisco HyperFlex 2.0 and later, and Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 2 must be installed on the backup server. For more information, see Integration Modes.
- VMs must not have VMware vSphere snapshots. VMs with VMware vSphere snapshots are skipped during backup or replication. You can instruct Veeam Backup & Replication to process these VMs in the regular data processing mode — to do this, enable the Failover to standard backup option in job settings.
- Disks of a processed VM must be located on the same Cisco HyperFlex NFS store. If some VM disks are located on an NFS store other than the store hosting the VM configuration file, such VM will be processed in the regular backup mode.
- How Backup from Cisco HyperFlex Snapshots Works
- Configuring Backup Proxies
- Configuring Backup from Cisco HyperFlex Snapshots
- Configuring Direct NFS Access on Cisco HyperFlex (Earlier Than 2.0)