Veeam Backup & Replication integrates with Cisco HyperFlex and allows you to improve performance of backup and replication of VMware vSphere VMs hosted on Cisco HyperFlex.
For backup and replication of VMs hosted on Cisco HyperFlex, Veeam Backup & Replication does not use VMware vSphere snapshots to preserve VMs in a consistent state suitable for backup or replication. Instead, it relies on native Cisco HyperFlex VM snapshots. Use of Cisco HyperFlex VM snapshots avoids the overhead produced by VMware vSphere snapshots removal on the production environment.
To create HyperFlex VM snapshots, Cisco leverages VMware vSphere Storage APIs Array Integration (VAAI). VAAI enables VMware vSphere ESX(i) hosts to communicate with storage devices and offload storage operations such as snapshot creation and cloning to the storage array. As a result, Cisco HyperFlex can create space efficient VM snapshots almost instantly. Veeam Backup & Replication, in its turn, can use HyperFlex snapshots for VM data processing, which helps speed up backup and replication operations, reduce impact of backup and replication activities on the production environment and improve RPOs.
Limitations for Backup from Cisco HyperFlex Snapshots
Backup and replication of VMs hosted on Cisco HyperFlex have the following limitations:
- VMs must be hosted on Cisco HyperFlex 2.0 and later, and Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 2 must be installed on the backup server. For more information, see Integration Modes.
- VMs must not have VMware vSphere snapshots. VMs with VMware vSphere snapshots are skipped during backup and replication and are processed in the regular data processing mode (in case the Failover to standard backup option is enabled in job settings).
- Disks of a processed VM must be located on the same Cisco HyperFlex NFS store. This limitation does not apply to independent disks — they can be located on different Cisco HyperFlex NFS stores.
- How Backup from Cisco HyperFlex Snapshots Works
- Configuring Backup Proxies
- Configuring Firewall Rules for Cisco HyperFlex
- Configuring Backup from Cisco HyperFlex Snapshots
- Configuring Direct NFS Access on Cisco HyperFlex (Earlier Than 2.0)