FAT, NTFS or ReFS Restore from Storage Snapshots
You can restore VM guest OS files from a storage snapshot. Veeam Backup & Replication supports file-level restore for the following Microsoft Windows file systems:
When you perform guest OS file restore, you select an ESXi host in the virtual environment. Veeam Backup & Replication creates a clone of the storage snapshot where the VM disks are hosted, and mounts the clone to the selected ESXi host as a new datastore.
Veeam Backup & Replication accesses the configuration file of the VM (VMX) on the mounted clone and uses this configuration file to register a temporary VM on the ESXi host. Disks of the restored VM are mounted to this temporary VM. After disks are mounted, you can copy VM guest OS files and folders to their original location, local machine drive or save them in a network shared folder.
Prerequisites for FAT, NTFS or ReFS Restore from Storage Snapshots
Before you restore VM guest OS files from storage snapshots, check the following prerequisites:
- You must add the storage system to the backup infrastructure.
- You must check limitations for data recovery from storage snapshots.
- If you plan to restore VM guest OS files to their original location, you must make sure that VMware tools are installed on the target VM.
- If you plan to restore guest OS files from a VM running Microsoft Windows ReFS, the Veeam Backup & Replication console must be installed on a machine running Microsoft Windows Server 2012 or later.
- If you plan to restore files from a VM running Microsoft Windows Server 2012 or later, and data deduplication is enabled for some VM volumes, the Veeam Backup & Replication console must be installed on a machine running Microsoft Windows Server 2012 or later. Data deduplication must be enabled on this machine.
- [For storage systems working over Fibre Channel] To let Veeam Backup & Replication present snapshots of LUNs to the ESXi host, you must register the ESXi host with a WWN ID on the storage system.
- [For NetApp ONTAP storage systems] Depending on the storage type, you may need to install additional licenses on the storage system. For more information, see Required Licenses for NetApp.
Performing Instant Recovery from Storage Snapshots
For information on performing restore from FAT, NTFS or ReFS, see section Restoring VM Guest OS Files (FAT, NTFS or ReFS).