Switching to Maintenance Mode
Veeam Backup & Replication allows you to put any of the performance extents of your scale-out backup repository into Maintenance mode. You can use this mode if you need to perform service actions, such as upgrading a performance extent or installing a patch on it. Putting a performance extent into maintenance mode is mandatory to evacuate backups, as described in Evacuating Backups from Extents.
An extent in the Maintenance mode operates with the limited functionality:
- Veeam Backup & Replication does not start new tasks targeted at this performance extent.
- You cannot restore VM data from backup files residing on the performance extent. You also cannot restore VM data from backup files residing on other performance extents if a part of the backup chain resides on the extent in the Maintenance mode.
When you switch the Maintenance mode, Veeam Backup & Replication launches the Repository Maintenance job. The Repository Maintenance job checks the status of jobs and tasks targeted at the extent and puts the extent to one of the following modes:
- If no tasks using the performance extent are currently running, the job puts the extent to the Maintenance mode immediately.
- If the performance extent is busy with any task, for example, a backup job, the job puts the extent to the Maintenance pending state and waits for the task to complete. When the task is complete, the extent is put to the Maintenance mode.
If you put to the Maintenance mode an extent that has a part of an active backup chain on it, the backup job targeted to the scale-out backup repository will fail. To avoid this, create a full backup manually.
To put a performance extent into maintenance mode:
- Open the Backup Infrastructure view.
- In the inventory pane, select the scale-out backup repository under Scale-out Repositories.
- In the working area, select the extent and click Maintenance Mode on the ribbon or right-click the extent and select Maintenance mode.
To remove the extent from maintenance mode, select the extent and click Maintenance Mode on the ribbon or right-click the extent and select Maintenance mode once again.